Depression is known as a type of ubiquitous condition which affects millions of people all over the world. Many of these individuals believe and have been told by doctors as well as psychiatric industries that only SSRI’s (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors) along with several antidepressant drugs is the only option for treatment. However, there is a natural alternative such as herbs for depression that have proven to assist in re-mediating symptoms of depression in a natural way without side effects that are usually negative.
Physicians do not yet fully understand what actually causes depression but there are a number of factors that can contribute to the disease that includes:
- Individuals who suffer from depression can have undergone physical changes that have occurred in the area of the brain.
- The functions of a human brain are controlled by the balance of neurotransmitters and chemicals. If the chemicals change in the brain some individuals become susceptible to depression.
- Certain dramatic life changes can cause depression such as losing a partner or loved one, a job or relationship that comes to an end, trauma or financial stress.
- Changes that occur in hormones can also contribute to the onset of depression.
- Some individuals posses genetic predispositions to depression if a relative such as a parent or sibling has depression.
Natural Relief With Herbs For Depression
Conventional treatments in regards to depression use various prescription medications, therapy or counseling. While alternative options that include vitamins, supplements and herbs have undergone extensive studies to derive whether these natural alternatives can offer relief. Below are some of the more popular herbs used to treat depression:
Rhodiola rosea is a type of perennial plant grown in the alpine and cold regions of the Northern Hemisphere, The roots contain sap that is said to improve mental and physical endurance, relieve symptoms related to stress and anxiety as well as alleviate symptoms related to depression. The sap contains an ingredient known as adaptogen that assists in normalizing the response of the body to stress and maintains optimal homeostasis in the way of balancing the endocrine hormones and immune system.
St. John’s Wort
This plant is native to the subtropical and temperate climates across the globe and has been in use by a number of cultures over the years to naturally treat depression. Several research studies have concluded that St. John’s Wort is an effective type of standard when compared to antidepressant drugs in the treatment for mild onto moderate depression.
Is a plant from the tropical rain forests that grow berries that contain the highest concentration of vitamin C in the entire world. The Camu Camu contains adaptogenic properties which work at normalizing bodily processes in times of stress and have been said to relieve the symptoms related to depression.
For those interested in trying out natural alternative therapies for depression, it is always advisable to first consult with a psychiatrist, therapist or doctor. The professionals in this field are able to advise on the types of supplements that are best for each patient.